Will never work with Sanjay Dutt again: Ram Gopal Varma
Ram Gopal Varma

Ram Gopal Varma on the sets of Satya 2, talks about Jiah Khan, Sanjay Dutt, KJo and his upcoming films. Excerpts from the chat:


How different is Satya 2 from Satya? Satya 2 is a different story altogether. It revolves around a fictional don. The film explores a new kind of underworld that can spring up anytime. Underworld is no longer the same what it was in the period of 1997-2004. 
There has been a lull in your career after Sarkar Raj... I even made Aag with equal fervour, yet it proved to be the biggest flop of my career. 
Could it be a case of over confidence? No. And there is another accusation against me, which is totally unjustified: I jump from one project to another. But do you know that I took the longest time to complete Daud, Aag and Department- and those three were my biggest flops. And do you know that I didn't have a complete script in hand when Satya went on floors? Today, if a film doesn't do well, you don't come to know if the film is really bad or some pre-conceived notion kept the audience away. 
Like it happened in 26/11, when people felt that they didn't want to relive the nightmare? Now, that's an assumption. When I made that film, I felt that people would be interested to know what happened on November 26, 2008. 
But you didn't show the full tragedy. You focussed only on Taj and CST. Right. That's because I wanted to tell the story of the lone terrorist survivor, Qasab. 
Then you should've named it Qasab. Isn't it? (Thinks hard) Maybe. Someone else too told me the same thing. 
When will this twitter war between you and Karan Johar end? I have never wanted to make fun of him, but it is perceived that way. And I guess that's got a lot to do with my personality. 
What aspect of your personality are you talking about? I don't come to parties. I don't mingle with people. So, I don't clarify or simplify any of my statements. Whereas, Karan often interacts with the media and if members of the press ask him about the tweets and he reacts, I don't hold it against him. 
Would you like to change? Why should I change? Moreover, no one can really change even if he wishes to. 
What's after Satya 2? I want to make a martial arts film, it's tentatively titled Bruce Lee. But it's not on Bruce Lee per se. I have signed a new girl Pooja Balekar to play the protagonist. She is from Pune. After that, I want to make a love story. And I don't want to set it up abroad against snowcapped mountains! My movie will be set in the milieu of lovers lost in each other on a dirty Versova beach. 
Do you believe in love? You have had your fair share of linkups with your heroines...Although I believe in love, I don't have the time for it. But I definitely don't believe in marriage. Before you marry, you are at your best. After you marry, your partner discovers all your flaws. And mind you, it is difficult to adjust in marriage. A friend of mine is extremely peeved with his wife because it was only after marriage he realised that she screams at the servants! 
And you too found yourself in a sticky situation after marriage? Why only me? It happens with several people. 
Why are you so fascinated by the underworld? I don't think I'll make another gangster film after Satya 2. As I said earlier, the underworld effect has reduced. 
But recently there were allegations that Dawood Ibrahim was involved in IPL match fixing... Merely an accusation. And wasn't it also too small considering Dawood's reputation? 
Are you in touch with Sanjay Dutt? He is out on parole... Not at all. 
You had a problem with him during the making of your film Department... My intention was to make a film like Company, which was driven by my conviction. But the end product looked like a wannabe trying too hard to make a hit film. Hero ka introduction chahiye, song chahiye (pauses). 
Did Sanjay compel you to introduce changes? Let's not use the word 'compelled'. At one point, I got drawn to it. 
But you guys patched up, hadn't you? Oh, come on. That was just an exchange of SMS. 
He made you drop Kangna Ranaut from the film? I am skipping this one. 
So, will you work with Sanjay again? Never. 
Your discovery, Jiah Khan, met you some time before her death. Did she come across as a person who was on the edge? Yes. But her mother thinks otherwise. So maybe Jiah was feeling a bit low on that particular day... 
Are you in touch with Jiah's mother, Rabia? Off and on.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
FlipBoard © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by EditAndroid.ComDesigned by Sourya Kharb
Top