I don't fear anyone, says Sindhu after gold in Macau
PV Sindhu shows her Gold Medal that she won at Kumpoo Macau Open Grand Prix, at a media conference at Gopichand Academy. 

HYDERABAD: PV Sindhu's Macau Grand Prix Gold title may not be her most memorable triumph, but surely a morale-boosting one - not just for her, but her coach and Indian badminton as well. 

After her bronze-medal show at the World Championships in August, there was a steep slide in the fortunes of Indian badminton with none registering a worthwhile performance. But Sindhu has managed to lift the sagging morale of Indian badminton with her Macau conquest. 

The 5-feet, 11-inch shuttler arrived to a grand welcome on Tuesday and shared her experiences after the Macau win. Following are excerpts: 

How comforting was the win? 

It's always good to win a title. I was not doing well after the World Championships. Despite getting a good draw in events in Denmark, I was not able to live up to expectations. So I took a break, withdrew from the China Open and worked hard. I played well in Hong Kong, though I lost to Ratchanok (Intanon) in the first round and in Macau I won the title. Winning a tournament at the end of the year boosts your confidence a lot. Overall, it's been an excellent year for me. I won two GP Golds and I am determined to do well next year. 

Ratchanok and Saina Nehwal are the only top players you haven't beaten so far. How long do you think you have to wait to get their measure? 

I am happy with the way I played against Ratchanok in Hong Kong last month. It was a close match. I think next time I can beat her. 

What are the improvements you made this year? 

There were many. Last few months I worked on my drops and strokes. I struggled a bit with my drops, but now I am feeling comfortable. 

Even after your third major win this year, your coach (Gopichand) said that you need 12 to 18 months to become a complete player. Do you agree with them? 

Of course I agree. He knows better than me. Every year I kept improving. In 2012, I beat a few top players and this year I won three titles. I am still learning and always feel that there is a long way to go. 

Do you fear anything before stepping out on the court? 

Nothing like that. I don't fear anyone, I just concentrate on giving my best. 

Is there any player who you want to beat badly? 

I want to beat everyone I'm playing against. 

What is your next target? 

I will be playing several big tournaments next year and try to win as many as possible
.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
FlipBoard © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by EditAndroid.ComDesigned by Sourya Kharb
Top