Gulbis sends Wimbledon champ Murray out of Montreal
Ernests Gulbis reacts as he plays against Andy Murray during the Rogers Cup in Montreal
MONTREAL: Ernests Gulbis handed Wimbledon champion Andy Murray a shock 6-4, 6-3 defeat in the Montreal Masters third round on Thursday.

The win was the first in six meetings with the world number two for the Latvian and ended a 13-match winning streak for Murray.

Murray now heads to Cincinnati next week for a final chance to tune his hardcourt form for his US Open title defence starting in New York on August 26.

Gulbis went through in less than 90 minutes with three breaks of Murray, who has been champion in Canada on two occasions.

"I struggled at the start of the first set from the baseline, but then I got more aggressive and took my opportunities," said Gulbis, who faces either Juan Martin del Potro or Milos Raonic for a place in the semifinals.

"I started this year at 150 in the world, I was struggling. But slowly and surely I am getting to where I belong.

"I want to crack the top 20. Then, one or two big wins and you are in the top 10."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
FlipBoard © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by EditAndroid.ComDesigned by Sourya Kharb
Top