Sindhu's dream run ends with bronze at World Badminton Championships
After sending two Chinese stalwarts packing, Sindhu could not extend her dramatic run in the semifinals. 
NAGPUR: Lightning didn't strike thrice for PV Sindhu at the BWF World Badminton Championships.

After sending two Chinese stalwarts packing in as many days - that too in their own backyard - Sindhu could not extend her dramatic run in the women's singles semifinals at Guangzhou in China on Saturday.

In a battle between two of the most talented teenagers on the world badminton stage, Ratchanok Intanon stopped Sindhu's giant-killing run 21-10, 21-13 at the Tianhe Indoor Stadium on Saturday.

With this defeat, world No. 12 Sindhu wasted a golden chance to avenge her India Open loss earlier this year and settled for a bronze medal, a superlative feat in itself.

The Thai shuttler dominated the 36-minute encounter with a near-perfect display. Tenth seed Sindhu won the first point of the match and initially seemed to be on equal terms, but the fourth seed suddenly changed gears and began accumulating points in a hurry.

The three-time World junior champion raced to a first-game win in just 11 minutes with a series of overhead smashes and powerful down-the-line winners.

In the second game, Sindhu tried to make a comeback and changed her strategy a bit with service variations. At the break, Sindhu was trailing 5-11 but finding some form. However, Ratchanok just refused to let go the advantage.

Sindhu was disappointed with the defeat but promised to settle scores next time. "She played a really good game today. She didn't allow me to take control.

I made a few unforced errors in the first game and in the early part of the second game. But there is always a next time. Hopefully, I can do better and overcome her in our next meeting," the 18-year-old Sindhu told TOI.

"I gave a lot of negative points. I was playing the big match but I was not under any pressure. The drift was there but I don't want to complain because it is common for all," she added.

Despite the defeat, Sindhu was happy with the way she performed on her debut. "It was a great tournament for me. It was my first World Championship and getting a medal is a huge achievement. I want to dedicate my success to my coach Gopi Sir. He is the one who believed in me. I reached this level only because of the guidance of my coach."

Gopichand admitted the Thai girl had outclassed Sindhu. "I always knew Ratchanok will be an even tougher opponent for Sindhu. She is in excellent form this season.

Despite playing a gruesome three-game quarterfinal yesterday (against Spain's Carolina Marin) she did not show any signs of stiffness. Ratchanok played very well. She is very deceptive. Sindhu could not get into the groove.

Sindhu was finding form towards the end of the match but by then the damage had been done.
"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
FlipBoard © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by EditAndroid.ComDesigned by Sourya Kharb
Top